Avon and Dedisa Peaking Power
The Avon (670MW) and Dedisa (335MW) Peaking Power plants are open-cycle gas turbine plants (OCGT) located in KwaZulu Natal and the Eastern Cape respectively. With a combined capacity of 1005 MW, South Africa’s only privately-owned gas plants provide contracted peak power to Eskom.
Peaking Power plants are designed to help balance the national grid’s fluctuating power needs by supplying additional electricity into the grid when there is a higher demand than anticipated due to a greater need or plant breakdown.
The plants have 15-year PPAs with Eskom, with the option to renew for another 15 years. With a plant life double that of the PPA period, Avon and Dedisa are well placed to run through the contract period and beyond, with additional options to provide power generation to private industry.
Hulisani has an interest in the Avon and Dedisa Peaking Power Plants, held indirectly through a convertible loan into Legend Power Solutions (which holds 27% in each of the Avon and Dedisa Peaking Power Plants).
- Open-cycle gas turbine plants (OCGT) located in KZN and Eastern Cape
- Combined capacity of 1005 MW & SA’s only privately-owned gas plants
- Provide contracted peak power to Eskom to balance the national grid’s during peak periods
- Have 15-year PPAs with Eskom, with the option to renew
- Plant life double that of the PPA period and have options to provide power generation to the private sector
- Plants are able to use natural gas as soon as a steady supply is available and can be used to unlock the gas market in SA and cement the role of the plants as low carbon energy production