GRI Wind Steel
GRI is the only South African operational manufacturer of wind towers and is based in Atlantis, Western Cape.
GRI opened its wind tower manufacturing plant in 2014 in this highly impoverished area, creating over 300 jobs and developing key skills in the process.
The plant has the capacity to manufacture over 150 wind towers per year – this is the equivalent of supplying 400MW in new-build wind farms per annum, which translates into enough power produced to power 134,000 homes and creates a contribution of R187 million to the economy.
Hulisani has an effective 25% shareholding in GRI.
GRI provides Hulisani with vertical integration into the wind farm supply chain amid increased calls for local jobs and skills to be created and for enforcement of local content rules. In addition, it provides access to global demand for components for the wind generating industry.
- Only South African operational manufacturer of wind towers to the global market – boosts local production and creates related component manufacture opportunities
- Production capacity of 150 wind towers/year – equivalent of 400MW in new wind farms/year – enough power for 134,000 homes and potential contribution of R187m to the economy
- Over 300 quality skilled jobs created so far – the skills developed are marketable beyond SA
- GRI provides Hulisani with vertical integration into the wind farm value chain, and access to the growing global market for wind tower components
- AfCTA is likely to create further incentives for export on the continent – expected in 2019